Hi Simon & Kara
I have received my new bed last Friday and enjoy it so much that I don’t want to get up in the morning.
BREED: Rhodesian Ridgeback
HOME: St Marys, TAS
BED SIZE: 50
BED STYLE: Standard Set
COLOURS: All Burgundy
Learn more about the Rhodesian Ridgeback
- The Rhodesian ridgeback is a dog breed developed in Southern Africa, Zimbabwe.
- Its European forebears can be traced to the early pioneers of the Cape Colony of southern Africa, who crossed their dogs with the semi-domesticated, ridged hunting dogs of the Khoikhoi.
- In the earlier parts of its history, the Rhodesian ridgeback has also been known as Van Rooyen’s lion dog, the African lion hound or African lion dog—simba inja in Ndebele, shumba imbwa in Shona—because of its ability to keep a lion at bay while awaiting its master to make the kill.
- The original breed standard was drafted by F.R. Barnes, in Bulawayo, Southern Rhodesia (now Zimbabwe), in 1922. Based on that of the Dalmatian, the standard was approved by the South African Kennel Union in 1927.
- The Khoikhoi people who occupied the Cape Peninsula when the Dutch began trading with the area during the mid 17th century, had a hunting dog which was described as ugly, but noted for its ferocity when acting as a guard dog. This dog measured approximately 18 inches (46 cm) at the withers, with a lean but muscular frame. The ears have been described both as erect and hanging, but the most distinctive feature was the length of hair often growing in the reverse direction along its back.
- Within 53 years of Dutch settlement in Southern Africa, and the origins of the wagon-trekking Dutch boers (farmers in Dutch), later known as Afrikaaners, who converted vast stretches of wild veldt into farmland, hunted for meat and defended their cattle herds, staff, and homesteads from lion, the Europeans were using these local dogs themselves.
LINKS TO LOCAL BREED CLUBS
The Rhodesian Ridgeback Club NSW & ACT
The Rhodesian Ridgeback Club Queensland
The Rhodesian Ridgeback Club Western Australia
The Rhodesian Ridgeback Club Victoria
The Rhodesian Ridgeback Club South Australia